Join me at Teach Preschool!

Click here to see fingerplays and songs by Deborah! »

The Latest on Teach Preschool!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What do you want for Christmas?


My preschoolers always used to ask me "What do you want for Christmas?" I would fumble around and say, "I don't need anything" or "How about you make me a card?" I didn't want my preschool parents to think I was soliciting cool gifts from them!

Then one year, a parent gave me a children's book and had their child sign his name inside. I loved it - it was something I could use in the classroom, treasure for my own, and use to remember the child.

From that point on, if a child asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I would say "my favorite thing in the whole wide world are the books that you love to read - that way I can read them to you." My parents did indeed begin to pass the word and I started getting a few new children's books each year for Christmas.

I thought I would share this with you because chances are your parents want to do something special for you. A children's book is wonderful way for your students to participate in the gift.

Deborah

3 comments:

Teacher Tom said...

I'm laughing as I read this Deborah because I felt the same way you did when kids or parents asked me what I wanted. It was so awkward saying, "You don't need to get me anything," because they DID want to get me something and the question was really all about wanting me to know they appreciated me. Now I just answer, "Books, cookies and back scratches!"

I actually think your way is better, but now my reputation precedes me. I get showered in cookies and bookstore gift cards every holiday season.

I get my back scratches on the spot, then tell the kids that this is what their parents want as well!

Deborah Stewart said...

I like the back scratch! That is a great answer - I will add that to my list :)

Scott said...

"Books that you like to read" - I love that. Encouraging a child to find a book that he enjoys to give to someone else. This is a great idea.

(And, even though I love the ornaments or cookies that kids give me, this would be a gift of more lasting use.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails