Join me at Teach Preschool!

Click here to see fingerplays and songs by Deborah! »

The Latest on Teach Preschool!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Create a name puzzle for your preschoolers

Help your preschoolers recognize the letters in their name with this little puzzle activity.

Write each child's name on a sentence strip using upper and lower case letters.

Write each child's name on a sheet of construction paper and add a rectangle with the same number of columns under the child's name.

Create a second sentence strip with the child's name only this time, cut the letters of the name apart.

Mix up the letters

Have the child place the letters in the correct column using the printed name above as a guide.

Once the child has placed all the letter in the correct order, let the child glue the letters in place. Encourage the child to look at the name card if the child isn't sure which order the letters go in. 

Once all the letters are glued on, set aside to dry.


10 comments:

Mama to 5 said...

what a great idea - I will have to use this idea when I teach my toddler how to spell his name - my preschooler already knows how. Thanks for sharing! :)

Teacher Tom said...

I'm thinking I can make this even more challenging by mixing ALL the kid's puzzle pieces together in one big pile and have them work together to sort out one another's names.

Deborah Stewart said...

That will certainly be big challenge Tom:) I have several games I am going to post this week that you might like to try.. For some reason, I have always loved coming up with name printing and recognition ideas.

Simply Life said...

what a great teaching tool!

Miller Moments said...

Love this!

Kelly said...

Great idea :) I have done something similar with kids who struggle with their name, but I don't have them glue so they can do it over and over again :)

Deborah Stewart said...

HI Kelly - I like to do it both ways. Sometimes I laminate it for the kids to keep as a game and other times, use it more as a take home activity! Glad you brought that up!!

Ms. Stacy said...

You can also do this by gluing a picture on the number of popsicle sticks in a child's name. It is great for kids who aren't quite ready for just the letters. That is how we start out in our Pre-K ESE class! Then we slowly wean them from the picture.

Deborah Stewart said...

Another great suggestion! Thanks Stacy:)

Elise said...

We are just starting to practice letter recognition here. I have made up a few exercises like this for my daughter to "write" her name.

I noticed in your reply to Teacher Tom's comment that you are planning on posting a few games. I am looking forward to this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails